The Arts Council plays a pivotal role in communicating to private, public, and corporate leaders that the arts are important in the lives of our citizens. We stress that the arts create vibrant communities, providing educational and leisure opportunities for our residents and appealing attractions for visitors. As arts budgets constrict and operating costs soar, it is imperative that we advocate for sustained funding to assure that our theaters, art museums, orchestras, art schools, and individual artists will have the resources to share their program.
What we do:
• We testify each year at budget hearings at the state capital.
• We represent the arts when serving on the Government Affairs Committee of the Chamber of Commerce and when preparing the Regional Legislative Agenda with Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce members.
• We host an annual luncheon in New Haven with local legislators and arts and tourism leaders to discuss the landscape of arts funding.
• We serve on the board of the statewide advocacy coalition, the Connecticut Arts Alliance.
• We participate in Arts Advocacy Day in Washington D.C. each spring by meeting with the Connecticut’s Congressional delegation, advocating for National Endowment for the Arts funding and arts education policy.