Fall Free for All
Whitney-Audubon Retail & Arts District Presents Fall Free For All – A Taste of the Arts
Saturday, September 23, 12–4 p.m.
Interested in learning more about the wonderful classes, workshops, restaurants and shops you keep hearing about in the “Arts District” of New Haven? The Fall Free For All on Saturday, September 23, 12–4 p.m. is a perfect time to check it all out. This, festive family-friendly event will feature free sample classes and an afternoon of performances, face painting, demonstrations, and special food and shopping offers. There’s also free parking that day for the first 100 cars at the Audubon Garage, 78 Audubon St., 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (Enter from Orange St.)
Performances take place outside on Leeney Plaza, located in the middle of Audubon Street, which will be closed to traffic.
Many more events to come. Here are some we already know about:
- Starting at noon, enjoy music by Neighborhood Music School student groups such as the Premier Jazz Ensemble, Suzuki Strings and West African Drumming.
- An Instrument Discovery Zone in front of Neighborhood Music School, where kids can play real instruments. More activities inside NMS as well.
- Neighborhood Music School invites new students to sample or observe selected free classes and sign up for a free trial lesson (scheduled at a later date). Student Services staff will be available to answer questions about registration and financial aid.
- Educational Center for the Arts student groups, showcasing their music and dance talents, and works by ECA visual arts students will be on display in the plaza as well.
- Creative Arts Workshop is offering selected free trial classes, including
- Pottery Sampler with Mike Bradford, a one day introduction to studio pottery! Participants get some hands-on time with the potter’s wheel, and how to work with clay, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- It’s A Play Date – structured group art activities for families, 2-4 p.m.
- New Haven Museum is offering free admission 12-6 p.m. as part of Museum Day Live!, an annual celebration of boundless curiosity hosted by Smithsonian Magazine and held at participating museums across the nation. Check out the exhibit opening for Old School Ink: New Haven’s Tattoos, exploring the contributions made by New Haven tattoo artists to the aesthetics and industry of body art—regionally, nationally and internationally.
- At New Haven Ballet, students are welcome to take a trial placement class:
- 1st Steps, 3-4 years, 9-9:45 a.m.
- Creative Ballet 1, 4-5 years, 9:45-10:30 a.m.
- Creative Ballet 2, 5-6 years, 10:30-11:15 a.m.
- Pre-Ballet, 6-7 years, 11:15 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Primary, 7-8 years, 12-1 p.m.
- Space limited. Call to reserve a spot: 203-782-9038.
The Ely Center of Contemporary Art/ John Slade Ely House will have a show up (thru Oct. 15): Maniac. Episode 5, curated By Kevin Daly. 1-4 p.m.
- Extended FFA Bonus: Free selected classes are available at Creative Arts Workshop from Sept. 18-23; Sign up for a free trial lesson at Neighborhood Music School from Sept. 18 – 30 or try free selected classes from Sept. 23 – 29.; Special food and shopping offers valid from September 18 – 30, 2017-please see rack card or website for details.
Additional events may be added, so be sure to visit the following partner websites for the most current information: The Whitney-Audubon Retail & Arts District, WhitneyAudubon.com/Free4All and The Arts Council of Greater New Haven, newhavenarts.org.